Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic field created by a DC wire in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good morning,

I have an issue with a 3D model. I am trying to show the magnetic field created by a DC current (10 amps) trough a straight wire, I have chosen magnetic fields and electrics (steady), and the result after calculate do not show this magnetic field, just a very low value... Even when rise the current (till 100 amps), it does not change... I have done it in 3.5 version in 2D and works very well. I do not know what I am missing.

Thanks in advance for help

Greetings

9 Replies Last Post Apr 20, 2021, 1:41 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 17, 2021, 11:46 a.m. EDT

If you post your model to the forum, it will probably be fairly simple for someone here to tell you what went wrong.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
If you post your model to the forum, it will probably be fairly simple for someone here to tell you what went wrong.

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 17, 2021, 2:35 p.m. EDT

thanks Robert,

sure, you can find it attached the image with the results (magnetic flux density)

thanks Robert, sure, you can find it attached the image with the results (magnetic flux density)

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 17, 2021, 5:25 p.m. EDT

By model I am referring to the .mph file, not an image from post processing. I suggest you post the file with the .mph extension.

-------------------
By *model* I am referring to the .mph file, not an image from post processing. I suggest you post the file with the .mph extension.

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 18, 2021, 1:26 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Apr 18, 2021, 1:26 p.m. EDT

The problem is even reducing the file, the size is 200 MB, and this forum only allows file uploading of 5 MB... I can share it with you by dropbox or something similar if you do not mind...

The problem is even reducing the file, the size is 200 MB, and this forum only allows file uploading of 5 MB... I can share it with you by dropbox or something similar if you do not mind...

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 18, 2021, 2:40 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Apr 18, 2021, 4:00 p.m. EDT

You can clear the solution and it will be much smaller. You can clear the mesh and it will be smaller still. (There are buttons and menu items to do that.) Then you can post a version of the .mph file that will, very likely, be small enough. Below is advice copied directly from Comsol Support:

Attaching Files: Note: If your .mph files are large, you can greatly reduce their size by selecting Clear All Meshes from the Mesh menu and Clear All Solutions from the Study menu, and then saving your .mph file. If you are using COMSOL Multiphysics® version 5.2a or later, then go to the File Menu > Preferences, Files section. For the Saving COMSOL application files setting, change the Optimize for setting to File Size. This reduces the saved file sizes for COMSOL application files.

-------------------
You can clear the solution and it will be much smaller. You can clear the mesh and it will be smaller still. (There are buttons and menu items to do that.) Then you can post a version of the .mph file that will, very likely, be small enough. Below is advice copied directly from Comsol Support: **Attaching Files: Note: If your .mph files are large, you can greatly reduce their size by selecting Clear All Meshes from the Mesh menu and Clear All Solutions from the Study menu, and then saving your .mph file. If you are using COMSOL Multiphysics® version 5.2a or later, then go to the File Menu > Preferences, Files section. For the Saving COMSOL application files setting, change the Optimize for setting to File Size. This reduces the saved file sizes for COMSOL application files.**

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 19, 2021, 1:43 p.m. EDT

thanks Robert,

yes, I did that and the size is still too big, it decreased from 500 to 200 MB.

any other possible mean to provide you the info?

thanks Robert, yes, I did that and the size is still too big, it decreased from 500 to 200 MB. any other possible mean to provide you the info?

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 19, 2021, 3:52 p.m. EDT
Updated: 3 years ago Apr 19, 2021, 3:54 p.m. EDT

Well, I guess I can't help you after all. If I recall correctly, I have never had a Comsol .mph file consume 200 MB after the mesh(es) and all solutions have been fully cleared. And I have created many very large and complex models. So, I can only suspect that either: (1) you have not successfully cleared the mesh(es) and solution(s) and then resaved the file, or (2) there is something pathologically odd/wrong/defective about your .mph file. Perhaps someone else here can offer a suggestion. Good luck.

-------------------
Well, I guess I can't help you after all. If I recall correctly, I have never had a Comsol .mph file consume 200 MB *after* the mesh(es) and all solutions have been *fully cleared*. And I have created *many* very large and complex models. So, I can only suspect that either: (1) you have *not* successfully cleared the mesh(es) and solution(s) and then resaved the file, or (2) there is something pathologically odd/wrong/defective about your .mph file. Perhaps someone else here can offer a suggestion. Good luck.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 20, 2021, 5:16 a.m. EDT

I second that. Even very complex models are hardly more than a few MB after clearing solutions and meshes.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
I second that. Even very complex models are hardly more than a few MB after clearing solutions and meshes.

Posted: 3 years ago Apr 20, 2021, 1:41 p.m. EDT

Thanks both of you. Well, then surely I have not reduced it well. I am going to try again.

Thanks both of you. Well, then surely I have not reduced it well. I am going to try again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.