Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FSI - stationary problem - parametric vs single studies

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working on a model that uses the COMSOL in-built FSI physics.

I am running a stationary study .However my inlet and outlet boundary conditions are dependent on time "t". So I set "t" as a parameter and define its value to run the stationary study.

Now, the issue I am facing is, I want to solve the stationary problem for several "t" t=0:0.1:1.
I can set this up by using the "continuation parameter" and use the parametric solver for the solution. But when I do this, the problem fails to converge for any "t" other than t=0. It fails due to inverted mesh elements. In order to get rid of the inverted mesh elements, I tried using linear shape order, I tried several different meshes but it still does not work for fine meshes (it works for a couple of coarse meshes though but that mesh density is not good enough for my study).

However, the very same stationary problem works if I set up 10 different studies (Each study corresponding to each t i.e., t=0 is one study, t=0.1 is another study ....t=1 is another study). I don't understand why this is happening and I am hoping that someone has an explanation or a suggestion to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the help.
Sirisha

1 Reply Last Post Apr 7, 2012, 3:27 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2012, 3:27 p.m. EDT

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.