Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

does anyone know the difference between acoustic pressure and sound pressure?

6 Replies Last Post Mar 21, 2012, 6:38 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2012, 11:46 a.m. EDT
Sometimes people distinguish acoustics as audible sound (20 - 20.000 Hz) whereas sound is considered more general including low frequency pressure waves and ultrasound.
In physical terms sound pressure and acoustic pressure is the same.

Cheers
Edgar
Sometimes people distinguish acoustics as audible sound (20 - 20.000 Hz) whereas sound is considered more general including low frequency pressure waves and ultrasound. In physical terms sound pressure and acoustic pressure is the same. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2012, 5:50 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the reply Edgar I really appreciate it, but the thing is when I do the simulation I got two different 3D plots, one for acoustic pressure and the other for sound pressure, which is completely different and I use to think that both are the same, now I got no explanation for what I have done....so do you have any...
Thanks
Thanks for the reply Edgar I really appreciate it, but the thing is when I do the simulation I got two different 3D plots, one for acoustic pressure and the other for sound pressure, which is completely different and I use to think that both are the same, now I got no explanation for what I have done....so do you have any... Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2012, 6:04 a.m. EDT

Can you post your model? Delete mesh and solution if it is too big.
Can you post your model? Delete mesh and solution if it is too big.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2012, 6:09 a.m. EDT
here it is...
here it is...

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2012, 6:27 a.m. EDT
Look at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure

The acoustic pressure is the pressure field in Pa, whereas the sound pressure level is a logarithmic db-value, referenced mostly to 0dB = 20 µPa, but the reference may be different in COMSOL. It is two ways to measure the same thing.

You should be able to verify that in your model by looking at a specific point.

Cheers
Edgar
Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure The acoustic pressure is the pressure field in Pa, whereas the sound pressure level is a logarithmic db-value, referenced mostly to 0dB = 20 µPa, but the reference may be different in COMSOL. It is two ways to measure the same thing. You should be able to verify that in your model by looking at a specific point. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2012, 6:38 a.m. EDT
Alright,Thanks for the help !!

cheers
Alright,Thanks for the help !! cheers

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.