Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

MEMS: Thermal Expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI

I have designed a MEMS micro heater for gas sensing applications. I have used joule heating and considered platinum as the material for the heater.
I have obtained the temperature and want to know the thermal expansion.
I have used solid mechanics and joule heating with thermal expansion but not able to achieve accurate results.

I am enclosing the file for the troubleshooter reference only.

Vineet Bansal
Project Associate, NPMASS
Electronic Science Department
Kurukshetra University, Haryana

3 Replies Last Post Mar 21, 2012, 5:58 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 15, 2012, 10:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

TEM (solving for T, V and _u_) should do that.

TEM is a "pre" assembly of JH (T+V) and + Solid (_u_) or of HT (T) + EC (V) and SOLID (_u_)

check your dependent variables when you select your physics, and be sure you do not dedouble the SAME variable when combining physics

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi TEM (solving for T, V and _u_) should do that. TEM is a "pre" assembly of JH (T+V) and + Solid (_u_) or of HT (T) + EC (V) and SOLID (_u_) check your dependent variables when you select your physics, and be sure you do not dedouble the SAME variable when combining physics -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2012, 4:38 a.m. EDT

I checked those variables and all are right, still its not happening sir

and the model file is too long to attach (25 mb)

Please provide me your mail link

--
Vineet Bansal
Project Associate, NPMASS
Electronic Science Department
Kurukshetra University, Haryana
I checked those variables and all are right, still its not happening sir and the model file is too long to attach (25 mb) Please provide me your mail link -- Vineet Bansal Project Associate, NPMASS Electronic Science Department Kurukshetra University, Haryana

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2012, 5:58 a.m. EDT
Hi

before you upload any file clen the solution with a Edit Clear all solution, clear all mesh, File reset history + save as with another name. Then before you upload, if important for you, check that nothing confidential remains, such as designs, materials or even file shorcuts that might give others a clue for whom you are working. Here on the Forum everything is open, mainly for free discussions where we all can share "public" issues

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi before you upload any file clen the solution with a Edit Clear all solution, clear all mesh, File reset history + save as with another name. Then before you upload, if important for you, check that nothing confidential remains, such as designs, materials or even file shorcuts that might give others a clue for whom you are working. Here on the Forum everything is open, mainly for free discussions where we all can share "public" issues -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.