Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cut Line 3D Step Size

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys,

I'm new to COMSOL and am using the Structural Mechanics module for a undergrad physics research project this summer. I've applied a Cut Line 3D to the axial center of a cantilever, and I'm currently trying to adjust the step size of the output file to view parameters such as principal stresses and strains along the line's path. How can I achieve a discrete step size in my path length (even size between entries in X column) when exporting this data? Here is my current export data that I brought into a table:

https://imgur.com/a/hw7pVBJ

Thanks in advance, Ben

1 Reply Last Post Jul 7, 2020, 9:33 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Jul 7, 2020, 9:33 p.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Jul 7, 2020, 9:47 p.m. EDT

The following will apply if you are generating your table of the data along a Cut Line 3D by exporting the numbers from a plot (e.g., a "line graph") of that data. So create such a plot, so you can see what I am talking about. Then, find the "Quality" pull-down settings under Settings, Line Graph. Changing the Resolution will change the number of points in the plot. See example images attached, which should help to clarify this.

Note: The attached image isn't set up to generate a fixed step size, but it lets you adjust the number of points sampled along the cut line after the FE model has completed running. If you want a fixed (constant) step size, you might want to try changing the Positioning setting from "In Data Points" (under Coloring and Style) to "Interpolated," and then specify the number of points you want to be in the sample. Then "Export" the plot to create your table entries.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
The following will apply if you are generating your table of the data along a Cut Line 3D by exporting the numbers from a plot (e.g., a "line graph") of that data. So create such a plot, so you can see what I am talking about. Then, find the "Quality" pull-down settings under Settings, Line Graph. Changing the Resolution will change the number of points in the plot. See example images attached, which should help to clarify this. Note: The attached image isn't set up to generate a *fixed* step size, but it lets you adjust the number of points sampled along the cut line after the FE model has completed running. If you want a fixed (constant) step size, you might want to try changing the Positioning setting from "In Data Points" (under Coloring and Style) to "Interpolated," and then specify the number of points you want to be in the sample. Then "Export" the plot to create your table entries.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.