Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to fix the shape of a boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

In my simulation, one of the boundaries are evolving with time due to creep. Is it possible to fix the shape of the boundary? (thus the displacement of the boundary in the moving direction is uniform for a flat boundary).

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

3 Replies Last Post Feb 17, 2012, 1:57 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 11, 2012, 4:18 a.m. EST
Hi

yes mostly, but you need to write out some equations i.e. by enforcing/prescribing some preferred directions or normal or Force/pressure normals

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi yes mostly, but you need to write out some equations i.e. by enforcing/prescribing some preferred directions or normal or Force/pressure normals -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2012, 7:00 p.m. EST
Hi, Ivar,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I am not quite following them though. Did you mean I can write out some equations like those with the PDE module? Would you please go a little more specific? I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Hi, Ivar, Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I am not quite following them though. Did you mean I can write out some equations like those with the PDE module? Would you please go a little more specific? I really appreciate it. Best regards,

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2012, 1:57 a.m. EST
Hi

if you define "Prescribes Deformation" e.g along X only of a plane in Y,Z, and enter a number the deformation will be constant in X, but you can write X0[m]*sin(2*pi*fy*Y) and force a sinus deformation along Y with amplitude along X.

Then its only your imagination that is the limit.

One thing, in "Solid" physics, take car if you refer the deformation to the material frame X,Y,Z,R or to the deformed spatial frame x,y,z,r. The latter makes the system non linear (then hit also the solver tick mark non linear geometry (this has changed from 3.5 to 4 to 4.2a, in the last version x and X are different but x=X+u only if you select the tick mark in the SOLVER section (see the doc on the "Frames")

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you define "Prescribes Deformation" e.g along X only of a plane in Y,Z, and enter a number the deformation will be constant in X, but you can write X0[m]*sin(2*pi*fy*Y) and force a sinus deformation along Y with amplitude along X. Then its only your imagination that is the limit. One thing, in "Solid" physics, take car if you refer the deformation to the material frame X,Y,Z,R or to the deformed spatial frame x,y,z,r. The latter makes the system non linear (then hit also the solver tick mark non linear geometry (this has changed from 3.5 to 4 to 4.2a, in the last version x and X are different but x=X+u only if you select the tick mark in the SOLVER section (see the doc on the "Frames") -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.