Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

is viscosity controlling for convection problems ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i tried solving simple 2 D problems .. which did not converge in transient condition .
By Simple i mean , a rectangle (2D) with a simple inflow and & outflow on each end.
So i tried inputting a parameter called viscosity as mu and then made it very high value (towards solid) and then decreased the parameter to that of water .. surprisingly answer converged ?

and my friend too told me a similar aspect stating that "solve it at higher viscosity and sweep it for lower viscosity so that answer will converge" .

is this really so ?

0 Replies Last Post Feb 3, 2012, 5:49 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Santhosh Kumar CT

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.