Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Volume average

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a question about volume average. If the mesh contains nodes of different sizes is this accounted for in the volume average? (i.e, when calculating average force in a volume, is the result a summation of forces/node size or just the force?)

if there is no division by node area then is it possible to get this information?

thanks

1 Reply Last Post Dec 12, 2011, 4:17 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2011, 4:17 p.m. EST
Hi

from my understanding the average in v4 is a shortcut for "intop1(whatever)/intop1(1)" where intop1(1) = volume and means the volume integration of operand "1*dx*dy*dz" (hence the element size is included de facto). In 3.5 one had to write it out like that, it's easier now in V4

for a surface average it's the same, but there the double integration normalisation gives the Area, etc.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my understanding the average in v4 is a shortcut for "intop1(whatever)/intop1(1)" where intop1(1) = volume and means the volume integration of operand "1*dx*dy*dz" (hence the element size is included de facto). In 3.5 one had to write it out like that, it's easier now in V4 for a surface average it's the same, but there the double integration normalisation gives the Area, etc. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.