Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

oscillating inlet velocity result

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, i am new to COMSOL and my CFD work too. Hope to have your guidance here.

Currently I start with simulation of fluid flow within an 2D axisymmetric cylinder. I applied boundary conditions:
inlet as pressure=0,
outlet as velocity=0.2m/s with step function;

Then I plot a 1D graph to show the result of inlet velocity (by selecting a point located at cylinder inlet symmetrical axis). However the graph shows that inlet velocity is oscillating like sine waves (green line in attached picture).

May I ask is this caused by numerical problem or it is a genuine phenomena?
Or actually i should plot the inlet velocity by selecting the inlet boundary line instead of a point?

Thank you. Looking forward for your reply and help.

3 Replies Last Post Dec 12, 2011, 12:39 p.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2011, 10:42 a.m. EST
Abbie,

I would expect to see oscillations when one end of the tube is excited by a step function. It probably acts like a pipe and the frequency you see should some way correspond with the length of the cylinder.

Cheers
Edgar
Abbie, I would expect to see oscillations when one end of the tube is excited by a step function. It probably acts like a pipe and the frequency you see should some way correspond with the length of the cylinder. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2011, 11:39 a.m. EST
Thanks so much Edgar. Would you mind to explain more why the step function would lead to oscillation?

For what i have in mind, here I input a step function at location time=0.01s to let comsol ramp up slowly from initial zero velocity to achieve 0.2m/s at outlet (to go through simulation in 1 second). What I thought is, if step function leads to oscillation, i would expect it shown within the first 0.02s of inlet velocity, however it occurs continuously within 1s of simulation. Please correct me if my concept is wrong.

Thanks a lot!
Thanks so much Edgar. Would you mind to explain more why the step function would lead to oscillation? For what i have in mind, here I input a step function at location time=0.01s to let comsol ramp up slowly from initial zero velocity to achieve 0.2m/s at outlet (to go through simulation in 1 second). What I thought is, if step function leads to oscillation, i would expect it shown within the first 0.02s of inlet velocity, however it occurs continuously within 1s of simulation. Please correct me if my concept is wrong. Thanks a lot!

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2011, 12:39 p.m. EST
Abbie,

if the blue graph in the plot is the output velocity, then this is a step, not a ramp. If you want a continuous ramp you must set something like ramp = 0.2*t*(t<=1) + 0.2*(t>1)

This will ramp up linearly from 0 to 0.2 within a second and then remain constant.

Cheers
Edgar
Abbie, if the blue graph in the plot is the output velocity, then this is a step, not a ramp. If you want a continuous ramp you must set something like ramp = 0.2*t*(t1) This will ramp up linearly from 0 to 0.2 within a second and then remain constant. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.