Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cannot change material parameters

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need to modify some material properties in my model but I have a strange problem. If I try to change a value, for instance density in "model/materials/Au/Basic/output properties", I cannot. I can't even select a line or a value (tried both left-clicking, right-clicking, double-clicking etc).
I have also tried adding a new user-defined material but that behaves the same way. I can add properties with the "+"-button, but then I cannot define any values for them.
Does anyone else have the same problem? Is there a way to get around it?

3 Replies Last Post Dec 12, 2011, 7:35 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 9, 2011, 3:25 a.m. EST
I have tried a little more now. This is starting to feel like a bug. I can actually change the values sometimes, for instance if I create a new model I can change values at first. But after I have been working on the new model for a little while the values get stuck and I am not allowed to change them any more. Any ideas? This is in Comsol 4.2 and I have installed all the updates for it.
I have tried a little more now. This is starting to feel like a bug. I can actually change the values sometimes, for instance if I create a new model I can change values at first. But after I have been working on the new model for a little while the values get stuck and I am not allowed to change them any more. Any ideas? This is in Comsol 4.2 and I have installed all the updates for it.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 9, 2011, 1:56 p.m. EST
Hi

have you tried to EDIT clear all mesh and all solutions and File reset model, save, exit COMSOL restart a fresh one and reload your model ?

then I noticed back in 4.2 often some issues when using my models for a loong time without clearing them, specially after a few months when the OS and Java and ... updated.
I'm still not convinced that all these updates and interlinked software leave the OS fully the same w.r.t. older versions running

I have no particular issues today on 4.2a updated

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried to EDIT clear all mesh and all solutions and File reset model, save, exit COMSOL restart a fresh one and reload your model ? then I noticed back in 4.2 often some issues when using my models for a loong time without clearing them, specially after a few months when the OS and Java and ... updated. I'm still not convinced that all these updates and interlinked software leave the OS fully the same w.r.t. older versions running I have no particular issues today on 4.2a updated -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2011, 7:35 a.m. EST
Thanks for the reply!

I followed your suggestion, but unfortunately it did not help and I'm still not able to change the values. For some reason I managed to change them once while messing around, so at least I now have some reasonable parameters to work with. But it certainly would be nice to be able to change them whenever I want to and not just when Comsol suddenly decides to let me..

I should be able to upgrade to version 4.2a quite soon, I hope that will solve this issue.
Thanks for the reply! I followed your suggestion, but unfortunately it did not help and I'm still not able to change the values. For some reason I managed to change them once while messing around, so at least I now have some reasonable parameters to work with. But it certainly would be nice to be able to change them whenever I want to and not just when Comsol suddenly decides to let me.. I should be able to upgrade to version 4.2a quite soon, I hope that will solve this issue.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.