Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Trying to understand "Arrow Volume" function

Sebastián Guarin Restrepo

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! I am currently working on a 3d planar transformer model using the e-core transformer model as a guide, I am new using Comsol. I am in the post results part, and there is something I don't quite understand: I want to model the current flow using volume arrows, varying the number of points in the "arrow positioning section" however I have a hard time understanding what goes on. When I change the position in x and y it only changes the number of arrows but when I do it on z, it changes, depending on the number of points, not only the number of arrows but also the particular position of the arrows. I attach three pictures that might clarify my question, in the first one (which works perfectly for what I need, the position on z is 24), in the second one the position is 20 and in the last one the position is 16 (I changed the scale factor for the arrows to be visible). I would really appreciate if someone helped me understand this behaviour. Thank you so much.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 11, 2019, 1:59 a.m. EDT
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 11, 2019, 1:59 a.m. EDT

When you use Entry method=Number of points for X, Y, or Z, then the grid points along that axis are distributed uniformly between the minimum and maximum coordinate values along that axis. In models where the geometry is irregular, this can lead to the positions ending up outside the geometry. Then using Entry method=Coordinates might be a better alternative.

When you use Entry method=Number of points for X, Y, or Z, then the grid points along that axis are distributed uniformly between the minimum and maximum coordinate values along that axis. In models where the geometry is irregular, this can lead to the positions ending up outside the geometry. Then using Entry method=Coordinates might be a better alternative.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.