Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mesh generation

Ait Elcaid Abdelkebir

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 3D model.I imported the parts from a STEP file. I tried different ways to mesh this geometry, but failed. Can you please guide me any technique by which I may mesh this model. the file attachment below COMSOL modeling.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

1 Reply Last Post Nov 1, 2011, 4:53 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 1, 2011, 4:53 a.m. EDT
Hi

Nice model, but it's typically a manufacturing drawing defined one, with a lot of nice small features, fillets etc. These imply a hugh meshing effort for not much FEM info, or even none.

Therefore you have problems meshing it.

Try to "defeature" it by removeing fillets and small features/rings edges ...

But you need to tink twice, if its for structural some fillets are there to avoid stress concentrations, others for the beauty (and the headache for the FEM analyst ;)

I mostly defeature in the CAD systems, as its often easier therein.

Then you have a symmetric model, perhaps you miht only model 1/2 or even 1/8 it all depends on your BC loads.

Some thinkinh along these lines, can gain you weeks of unecesarily simulations, but how to only arrives after you have tried it out a dozen of times, so it's just to jump into it.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Nice model, but it's typically a manufacturing drawing defined one, with a lot of nice small features, fillets etc. These imply a hugh meshing effort for not much FEM info, or even none. Therefore you have problems meshing it. Try to "defeature" it by removeing fillets and small features/rings edges ... But you need to tink twice, if its for structural some fillets are there to avoid stress concentrations, others for the beauty (and the headache for the FEM analyst ;) I mostly defeature in the CAD systems, as its often easier therein. Then you have a symmetric model, perhaps you miht only model 1/2 or even 1/8 it all depends on your BC loads. Some thinkinh along these lines, can gain you weeks of unecesarily simulations, but how to only arrives after you have tried it out a dozen of times, so it's just to jump into it. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.