Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Curved / Branched Objects in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I would like to model "natural", curved objects, that include several branches of basic gemoetries - similar to the shape of a tree or palm.

Based on your experience, what is the best way to realize this in COMSOL, in terms of best compatibility with the meshing algorithm and avoiding topology and meshing errors?

*) Model directly in COMSOL

*) CAD Import from other Enviroments

*) LiveLink wiht SolidWorks

Thank you very much,
Paul

3 Replies Last Post Sep 8, 2011, 7:30 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 6, 2011, 2:08 a.m. EDT
Hi

I use all with success, (almost: dxf and and some CAD software models are not true 2D/3D volumes, but collections of surfaces, these do not always knit into volumes, because of "small gaps")

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I use all with success, (almost: dxf and and some CAD software models are not true 2D/3D volumes, but collections of surfaces, these do not always knit into volumes, because of "small gaps") -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 8, 2011, 5:30 a.m. EDT
Thank you Ivar!

One last question:
How would you proceed at importing a curved architecture defined in STL format?
I am running into geometry errors when generating a mesh, also if the form is very simplified (no small faces, etc).

Is it more recommendable to convert the STL to one of the CAD formats and import it with the CAD kernel?

Thank you & Best Regards
Paul
Thank you Ivar! One last question: How would you proceed at importing a curved architecture defined in STL format? I am running into geometry errors when generating a mesh, also if the form is very simplified (no small faces, etc). Is it more recommendable to convert the STL to one of the CAD formats and import it with the CAD kernel? Thank you & Best Regards Paul

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 8, 2011, 7:30 a.m. EDT
Hi

I never import STL ! as these are layered 2.5D surfaces, and difficult to make into volumes, and their numerous "digital steps" are difficult to mesh.

Try out and change the meh size parameters, you might have more success if you turn off the small feature mesh effects and force a maximum size of a stl step, or somewhat less

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I never import STL ! as these are layered 2.5D surfaces, and difficult to make into volumes, and their numerous "digital steps" are difficult to mesh. Try out and change the meh size parameters, you might have more success if you turn off the small feature mesh effects and force a maximum size of a stl step, or somewhat less -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.