Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Having problem with heat transfer between two different materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Please refer to the pic.

I am having problem with the heat transfer in this geometry. The interface between this two materials is creating a problem. As I compute for solution, temperature change is in the steel section only nothing happens in the copper section. Which means the conduction is not taking place. What to do? The boundary condition at the interface is not set to insulation. Bit confused with this geometry.

2 Replies Last Post Aug 23, 2011, 7:16 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 22, 2011, 12:41 p.m. EDT
According to the figure you are prescribing a temperature of 25 degrees on all boundaries of the copper. In that case there is no heat transfer occurring there.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
According to the figure you are prescribing a temperature of 25 degrees on all boundaries of the copper. In that case there is no heat transfer occurring there. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 23, 2011, 7:16 a.m. EDT
I have set 350C in the right boundary of the steel part and all other boundaries are at 25C. Is that ok? This makes heat conduction within the steel body and no temperature change within the copper. Interface is the problem i think.
I have set 350C in the right boundary of the steel part and all other boundaries are at 25C. Is that ok? This makes heat conduction within the steel body and no temperature change within the copper. Interface is the problem i think.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.