Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with running script in COMSOL 3.5!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody!

I have the following problem. I have COMSOL script for calculation of torque exerted to the rotor of non-contact ultrasonic motor. This script generates file with name “moment” in ASCII format containing values of torque for different angular positions of rotor. Mesh during finite element modelling is generated automatically and there is also one refinement step. As a result of modelling I get dependence of torque on angular position of rotor presented in attached file. Unfortunately as a result of free meshing I get non-smooth dependence with sharp deviations in some points. I hope that this problem can be solved by additional refinement steps during meshing, but unfortunately I have not enough RAM on my computer (2 Gb) and can not make further refinement of mesh. Could you help me please? All that you need to do is simply run my script and return its output file to me.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

1 Reply Last Post Aug 23, 2011, 8:15 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 23, 2011, 8:15 a.m. EDT
The problem was in asymmetry of mesh and variation of mesh density. I managed to solve these problems by separate meshing of subdomains (stator, fluid gap and rotor). Since the rotor is rigid and I’m not interested in its deformations, I used different mesh densities for different subdomains: extremely fine for stator and fluid gap and extremely coarse for the rotor. New script and new (smooth!) plot are given as attached files.
The problem was in asymmetry of mesh and variation of mesh density. I managed to solve these problems by separate meshing of subdomains (stator, fluid gap and rotor). Since the rotor is rigid and I’m not interested in its deformations, I used different mesh densities for different subdomains: extremely fine for stator and fluid gap and extremely coarse for the rotor. New script and new (smooth!) plot are given as attached files.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.