Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

weld model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

i have attached a 2D mph file where i am trying to simulate resistance spot welding phenomenon. In the file i have modeled two vertical conductors attached to the steel sheets where a weld joint has to be made on the exact spot, between the sheets, where the vertical rods are in contact to the sheets. I am trying to apply force from the top conductor side whereas the bottom one is fixed, so that the force + the applied current through the top conductors forces a weld joint between the sheets. However, i am facing problems doing so. Can somebody look at the file and get back to me with possible solution.

To understand the spot welding process please click on the youtube link below:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwL1CAg43PU

1 Reply Last Post Jun 9, 2011, 2:38 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 9, 2011, 2:38 a.m. EDT
Hi

I would start to define the physics going on: the non-linear and driving one (seen from my side) is the non-linear contact resistance (depending on the pressure) between the steel plates (and the copper steel contact area)

You should be able to model these as thin resistive layers, with a R(p) relation

This is the "theory", how to remains to be done ;)

As usual, my suggestion start simple i.e. copper steel first, then copper - steel-steel ... or perhps copper - steel - symmetry (?) And why not start in 2D axi

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would start to define the physics going on: the non-linear and driving one (seen from my side) is the non-linear contact resistance (depending on the pressure) between the steel plates (and the copper steel contact area) You should be able to model these as thin resistive layers, with a R(p) relation This is the "theory", how to remains to be done ;) As usual, my suggestion start simple i.e. copper steel first, then copper - steel-steel ... or perhps copper - steel - symmetry (?) And why not start in 2D axi -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.