Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

incorrect results in scalar expressions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I am simulating the heating of lipossomes and other cell like structures by a focused laser beam in the 3.5 version. The heat source equation I introduced as a scalar expression is a gaussian expression dependent on the absorption coefficient, the beam waist and the incident power. The interior of the liposomes being usually filled with water I began using the water absortion coefficient (a) for both the interior and the surrounding medium. It so happens that as I increase the value of a the heat source equation starts giving incorrect results from about 100 1/cm and hence incorrect temperature results. I tested this expression in a Mathcad enviroment and it gave increading values for heat as a is increased well beyond 100 1/cm.
In the Comsol enviroment, after a=100 1/cm, the heat equation starts decreasing. Anyone would have any thoughts on why the expression behaves differently in Comsol.
Cheers

0 Replies Last Post Apr 5, 2011, 12:52 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Henrique Vilhena

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.