Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strain equation inconsistency ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I was checking the strain-displacement equations that are used in COMSOL and are available in Equation Systems. If someone can give me a hint to understand the following inconsistency I'd appreciate:

From solid mechanic books we have:

e_ij = 0.5 ( u_i,j + u_j,i - u_k,i * u_k,j )

where e (epsilon) is strain and _ij denoted the index of the strain matrix and u_i,j denotes ( du_i/dx_j ).

By assuming that i=j=1 this will result:

e_11= u_1,1 - 0.5 { (u_1,1)^2 + (u_2,1)^2 + (u_3,1)^2 }

while the equation used in COMSOL has + before 0.5 rather -, in the last equation. I checked this in structural mechanics mode for a solid (_smsld).

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Manuel

0 Replies Last Post Apr 5, 2011, 10:30 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mazyar Amin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.