Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

unable to solve the model emdc+Ht together but individually the phenomenon is solving.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Dear Lver/ aLL OTHERS;

I enclosed 2 mpbn file that i drew which was meshed properly but wasn't solved. I made a model of IGBT module with 2 dioe and 2 IGBTs. i wanted to apply current in the name inward current flow which value is 200 A so itsa almost 5e6 A/m² and my Chip specific resistance is .01 ohm-m. A2O3 is 6e8 ohm-m. but its shows error which i tried to over come from last couple of weeks.

Could you please look at my CAD model and give whats wrong!

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Rashedul Karim
M.Sc Electrical Power
RWTH, Germany

2 Replies Last Post Apr 6, 2011, 10:44 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 6, 2011, 9:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

I get an "Error 3034 The imported file contains no geometry" for your igbt file, the other one is read in.

But solving such thin shell files with details is tricky, as to how to get enough elements to give some representativity.

Now I didn't get really, from your explanations, what is not working ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I get an "Error 3034 The imported file contains no geometry" for your igbt file, the other one is read in. But solving such thin shell files with details is tricky, as to how to get enough elements to give some representativity. Now I didn't get really, from your explanations, what is not working ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 6, 2011, 10:44 a.m. EDT
Hi Lvar,

I drew CAD model of igbt module where IGBT and diode is 70µm in height, and 10.23 mm x 9.73mm area. then i connected these chips by bonding wire and then i applied current 200A at one end. i enclosed the electical circuit of the model. please see. after drawing, i did meshing.. i selected proper material from library and in some cases i modified the value like Resistance, Expension coefficient due to temperature. but in solving, once i chose only the dc/emdc (conductive media dc) for physics settings and i found the solver is working but when i chose joule heating (DC + Ht). The solver shows errors during computing or during iteration. I drew couple of times the model very carefully to avoid geometric errors. but i couldn't find from where the errors are coming and it stops solving. i again enclosed a geometic CAD file. please see. in my model,
1.bottom layer is heat sink made with Cu. 3mm in height then
2. 80µm soldering (height)then
3 300µm cu (height) then
4. 380µm A2O3(height)
5. again 300µm Cu
6.a. soldering 80µm bellow 4 chips.
6.4 silicon chips 70 µm in height
7. bonging wires with 250µm in diametre.

one side corner on the top, i applied a current of 400Am and another side is ground. which is isolated by Al203. 2 igbt with diode also isolated by Al2O3 but connect by bonding wire, please see cad file.

Thanks.

Rashed

Hi Lvar, I drew CAD model of igbt module where IGBT and diode is 70µm in height, and 10.23 mm x 9.73mm area. then i connected these chips by bonding wire and then i applied current 200A at one end. i enclosed the electical circuit of the model. please see. after drawing, i did meshing.. i selected proper material from library and in some cases i modified the value like Resistance, Expension coefficient due to temperature. but in solving, once i chose only the dc/emdc (conductive media dc) for physics settings and i found the solver is working but when i chose joule heating (DC + Ht). The solver shows errors during computing or during iteration. I drew couple of times the model very carefully to avoid geometric errors. but i couldn't find from where the errors are coming and it stops solving. i again enclosed a geometic CAD file. please see. in my model, 1.bottom layer is heat sink made with Cu. 3mm in height then 2. 80µm soldering (height)then 3 300µm cu (height) then 4. 380µm A2O3(height) 5. again 300µm Cu 6.a. soldering 80µm bellow 4 chips. 6.4 silicon chips 70 µm in height 7. bonging wires with 250µm in diametre. one side corner on the top, i applied a current of 400Am and another side is ground. which is isolated by Al203. 2 igbt with diode also isolated by Al2O3 but connect by bonding wire, please see cad file. Thanks. Rashed

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.