Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plot Temperature wrt Extra Dimension in Thin Layer of Heat Transfer module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all:

Thank you for clicking into this question.
I have a very simple structure for heat transfer analysis:
A very thin film (10nm) on a substrate (1mm).

The following is the domain/boundary name and the heat transfer gadget I apply

-----------------------------------------------
Block 1 (Heat Source)
Block 2
Block 3
--------Boundary 1 (Thin Layer)-----------

I would like to get the "Temperature" across the "thin layer", i.e., the T drop across the thin thickness.

The documentation said I should create a "Study 1/Solution 1 (2)" to accommodate the component "Extra dimension from thin layer"
Then use "1D plot group" with "Line graph" to plot it.

However, when I set the "y-Axis Data" as "comp7.ht5.tl1.Txdim"
and "x-Axis Data" as "nz normal vector"
and plot

the error message comes out and said

--------------------------------------------------
Undefined variable.
- Variable: comp7.ht5.tl1.Txdim
- Geometry: ht5_tl1_xdim1_xdim
- Domain: 1
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: comp7.ht5.tl1.Txdim
- Plot: lngr1 (Line graph)
--------------------------------------------------

Is there any suggestion on this situation.
Thank you very much for your patience in reading and answering.

6 Replies Last Post Jul 14, 2017, 11:55 a.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 13, 2017, 2:14 p.m. EDT
Some keywords:

5.2a
Heat Transfer
Extra Dimension
Thin Layer

Thank you everyone!
Some keywords: 5.2a Heat Transfer Extra Dimension Thin Layer Thank you everyone!

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 14, 2017, 8:57 a.m. EDT
Hi Christina, this is a little bit tricky, because you need to let the software know at which point in physical space you want to plot the temperature in the layers. You need to use the "atxd" operator to do this.

So, say the layer boundary condition is applied on the plane at z=0. The correct syntax to plot the temperature distribution would be:

atxd2(0.5[mm],0.5[mm],0,ht.tl1.Txdim)

This will evaluate the temperature in the layers at the point x=0.5[mm], y=0.5[mm], z=0 on the surface. You can refer to the attached model (which is created in V5.3).

Dan
Hi Christina, this is a little bit tricky, because you need to let the software know at which point in physical space you want to plot the temperature in the layers. You need to use the "atxd" operator to do this. So, say the layer boundary condition is applied on the plane at z=0. The correct syntax to plot the temperature distribution would be: atxd2(0.5[mm],0.5[mm],0,ht.tl1.Txdim) This will evaluate the temperature in the layers at the point x=0.5[mm], y=0.5[mm], z=0 on the surface. You can refer to the attached model (which is created in V5.3). Dan

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 14, 2017, 10:31 a.m. EDT
Good morning,

I saw that there are two layers, each one with 5 microns. How to measure the temperature for z = 0, and for z = 10 microns, at x = 0.5 mm, and y = 0.5 mm? I also study this type of problem and I would like to know the thermal influence of coatings on cutting tools.

I appreciate the help.

Rogerio.

Hi Christina, this is a little bit tricky, because you need to let the software know at which point in physical space you want to plot the temperature in the layers. You need to use the "atxd" operator to do this.

So, say the layer boundary condition is applied on the plane at z=0. The correct syntax to plot the temperature distribution would be:

atxd2(0.5[mm],0.5[mm],0,ht.tl1.Txdim)

This will evaluate the temperature in the layers at the point x=0.5[mm], y=0.5[mm], z=0 on the surface. You can refer to the attached model (which is created in V5.3).

Dan

Good morning, I saw that there are two layers, each one with 5 microns. How to measure the temperature for z = 0, and for z = 10 microns, at x = 0.5 mm, and y = 0.5 mm? I also study this type of problem and I would like to know the thermal influence of coatings on cutting tools. I appreciate the help. Rogerio. [QUOTE] Hi Christina, this is a little bit tricky, because you need to let the software know at which point in physical space you want to plot the temperature in the layers. You need to use the "atxd" operator to do this. So, say the layer boundary condition is applied on the plane at z=0. The correct syntax to plot the temperature distribution would be: atxd2(0.5[mm],0.5[mm],0,ht.tl1.Txdim) This will evaluate the temperature in the layers at the point x=0.5[mm], y=0.5[mm], z=0 on the surface. You can refer to the attached model (which is created in V5.3). Dan [/QUOTE]

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 14, 2017, 11:08 a.m. EDT
Hi Rogerio, you can use the Point Evaluation feature. See the Point Evaluation 1 feature in the attached model.

Dan
Hi Rogerio, you can use the Point Evaluation feature. See the Point Evaluation 1 feature in the attached model. Dan

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 14, 2017, 11:25 a.m. EDT
Thanks.

Hi Rogerio, you can use the Point Evaluation feature. See the Point Evaluation 1 feature in the attached model.

Dan

Thanks. [QUOTE] Hi Rogerio, you can use the Point Evaluation feature. See the Point Evaluation 1 feature in the attached model. Dan [/QUOTE]

Posted: 7 years ago Jul 14, 2017, 11:55 a.m. EDT

Hi, how this command (atxd2(0.5[mm],0.5[mm],0,ht.tl1.Txdim)) can pick up the temperatures in two points?

Rogerio
Hi, how this command (atxd2(0.5[mm],0.5[mm],0,ht.tl1.Txdim)) can pick up the temperatures in two points? Rogerio

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.