Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol on cluster

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody

I am trying to use comsol on cluster as a shared memory and I really want to use parameter distribution capabilities as well

I am generally using batch jobs on the cluster and I try following command line under linux environment

comsol -nn 4 -clustersimple batch -inputfile .......

It is really using the 4 node but all for node is solving all parameters instead of distribute the parameters over the nodes I try to use the gui as well but the result is same

Is there any kind of flags that I need to add I try to read the comsol installation guide but I couldnt find any think suitable

Is there anyone who knows How to distribute the parameters over the cluster nodes

All the best

Mustafa

4 Replies Last Post Apr 1, 2011, 9:27 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 24, 2011, 4:41 a.m. EST
Hi

I have the same problem, have you solved the problem? Could you please post it when you know how to solve it? I will let you know if I know.

Thank you

Honghui
Hi I have the same problem, have you solved the problem? Could you please post it when you know how to solve it? I will let you know if I know. Thank you Honghui

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2011, 9:33 p.m. EDT
Hi

I encounter the same question. have you fixed it now? if you know how to figure it out, please let us know.
very appriciated for any reply.
Hi I encounter the same question. have you fixed it now? if you know how to figure it out, please let us know. very appriciated for any reply.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2011, 5:55 a.m. EDT
In the Cluster Computing feature, expand Cluster Settings, and check "Distribute parametric sweep".

For a complete tutorial, open the model library and search for thermal_actuator_jh_distributed, then click open pdf.

--
Niklas
In the Cluster Computing feature, expand Cluster Settings, and check "Distribute parametric sweep". For a complete tutorial, open the model library and search for thermal_actuator_jh_distributed, then click open pdf. -- Niklas

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2011, 9:27 a.m. EDT

In the Cluster Computing feature, expand Cluster Settings, and check "Distribute parametric sweep".

For a complete tutorial, open the model library and search for thermal_actuator_jh_distributed, then click open pdf.

--
Niklas

Thanks very much, Niklas

The model your mentioned is a example of the cluster computing about number of cores. I follow the steps and figure out that the total time is less when using more cores.
but the problem concerning the number of nodes is still exit.
Let me show you a example. I calculated a model containing 180,000 freedom in one node(16G) and successed. and then I increase the mesh quality to get 220,000 freedoms, I should use four or more nodes to finish the calculation.
and the memory usage in each nodes is about 90%. In my opioion, two nodes is sufficient to calculate the model, and the memory usage in each node should less than 40%.

I used the command ' comsol -nn 4 -np 7 batch -inputfile ***.mph'

I can use 224G memories in our cluster, but I just can calculate a model less than 450,000 freedoms. I fell so comfused.

Any reply is appreciated.

best wishes.

Kyo

[QUOTE] In the Cluster Computing feature, expand Cluster Settings, and check "Distribute parametric sweep". For a complete tutorial, open the model library and search for thermal_actuator_jh_distributed, then click open pdf. -- Niklas [/QUOTE] Thanks very much, Niklas The model your mentioned is a example of the cluster computing about number of cores. I follow the steps and figure out that the total time is less when using more cores. but the problem concerning the number of nodes is still exit. Let me show you a example. I calculated a model containing 180,000 freedom in one node(16G) and successed. and then I increase the mesh quality to get 220,000 freedoms, I should use four or more nodes to finish the calculation. and the memory usage in each nodes is about 90%. In my opioion, two nodes is sufficient to calculate the model, and the memory usage in each node should less than 40%. I used the command ' comsol -nn 4 -np 7 batch -inputfile ***.mph' I can use 224G memories in our cluster, but I just can calculate a model less than 450,000 freedoms. I fell so comfused. Any reply is appreciated. best wishes. Kyo

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.