Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric field model in a flexible circuit

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model the electric field caused by a flexible circuit that is configured into a rectangular prism. I am very new to COMSOL and am resceiving an error which I cannot fix. I have attached my model, and if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

As mentioned, the model is simulating the electric field created by a circuit. The smaller rectangles around the prism are the electrodes which should be made of gold. The rest of the prism walls are made of polymide. The prism is hollow in the middle, so there, and everywhere surrounding the flexible membrane should be air.

Thanks a lot for any help you may have.

Michael

2 Replies Last Post Feb 22, 2011, 1:47 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2011, 4:05 p.m. EST
Hi

the main error you are doing is to use the infinite elements all the way up to the electrodes, if you simply disable the Inf elements it solves OK.

Then you will see that the block you are using is rather "small" and will influence the result,

So I can only suggest to use a sphere of air of somewhat larger size, and then add a "shell around of thickness
about 1/10 of the sphere radius and apply spherical infinite element conditions to this shell only (be sure you set the origine of the inf elemens at the centre of the sphere)

By the way you should update your version (see the main web site or call your COMSOL rep) you have still the original 4.1.0.88 version, several fixes has been added in the latest patched release

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the main error you are doing is to use the infinite elements all the way up to the electrodes, if you simply disable the Inf elements it solves OK. Then you will see that the block you are using is rather "small" and will influence the result, So I can only suggest to use a sphere of air of somewhat larger size, and then add a "shell around of thickness about 1/10 of the sphere radius and apply spherical infinite element conditions to this shell only (be sure you set the origine of the inf elemens at the centre of the sphere) By the way you should update your version (see the main web site or call your COMSOL rep) you have still the original 4.1.0.88 version, several fixes has been added in the latest patched release -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 22, 2011, 1:47 p.m. EST
Great, thanks Ivar. I will try what you suggested. I'm not sure I know what using infinite elements really does :P
And thanks for the tip on updating my version. I will get on that as well.

Michael
Great, thanks Ivar. I will try what you suggested. I'm not sure I know what using infinite elements really does :P And thanks for the tip on updating my version. I will get on that as well. Michael

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.