Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error in k-vector definition in assembly port pair excitation in 4.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

This is a simple Air-Glass interface imitated from Gratings_tutorial.ppt in comsol web. The excitation is done using assembly pair port condition so that only reflected light can be collected in the slave side of the pair. I am getting an error while solving for the k-vector. There should be some problem with Electric field / k vector definition in my assembly pair excitation boundary in 4.1. I have modelled for both TM and TE in the same file, so that any one can be enabled at a time and solved for. I am attaching the model.

Your inputs will be very helpful.

Thanks and Regards,
Gayathri M S

2 Replies Last Post Jan 31, 2011, 8:41 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gayathri M Sridharan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 30, 2011, 2:57 p.m. EST
Hi Gayathri. Is it possible that you send me the file you uploaded in format Comsol 4.0 or 3.5? I do not have the 4.1 and if you have a file (for instance, power point) where you explain the procedure for your modeling I will also appreciate it if you can send it also. I am working in a similar thesis project.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Gayathri. Is it possible that you send me the file you uploaded in format Comsol 4.0 or 3.5? I do not have the 4.1 and if you have a file (for instance, power point) where you explain the procedure for your modeling I will also appreciate it if you can send it also. I am working in a similar thesis project. Thanks in advance.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 31, 2011, 8:41 a.m. EST
Hi

you have no material defined, and the error ism saying it need more material data, so either you should add a or several materials, or you define ALL parameter in the Electric Wave Equation section, among other the "k" are missing, perhaps you wanted "0" no loss, but then you must say so ;)

Interesting model by the way, when it runs, explain it in a short Powerpoint or text doc. and upload it to the "modelExchange", it's absolutely worth it

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have no material defined, and the error ism saying it need more material data, so either you should add a or several materials, or you define ALL parameter in the Electric Wave Equation section, among other the "k" are missing, perhaps you wanted "0" no loss, but then you must say so ;) Interesting model by the way, when it runs, explain it in a short Powerpoint or text doc. and upload it to the "modelExchange", it's absolutely worth it -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.