Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametric sweep and probing model results

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am a new COMSOL user trying to model a 2D compressible gas flow at low Reynolds numbers. I am only interested in and solving for fluid velocity (u in x-direction), thus the model is quite simple and consists only of an inlet, outlet and walls or symmetry boundaries.

The model itself produces reasonable values, but I am looking for pointers on doing two things:

(1) I would like to be able to find the boundary layer thickness above a surface in the model defined by 99% of the maximum velocity at that position. Is there a way to define stream(s) so that I can quickly evaluate the points (x,y) having 0.99*maximum(x-velocity)? I could easily convert this to boundary layer thickness knowing the surface height.

(2) I would like to perform a parametric sweep by varying the inlet velocity. I have defined a global parameter (u_inlet) and written the parameter name in place of numeric values in defining the inlet velocity and initial value for the laminar flow module. I have also added a parametric sweep step to the solver that varies this parameter in a range of values. However, I get an error that "Parameter names must not be empty" and that it "failed to evaluate the variable". Have I gone astray somewhere in properly initializing this parameter?

I realize these are probably rudimentary questions, but I've had little luck finding these things addressed explicitly in the help files thusfar.

Thanks!
--Dave

0 Replies Last Post Oct 27, 2010, 6:49 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Lipke

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.